Reply To: UPnP question

Home Forums Windows UPnP question Reply To: UPnP question

HotDawg
Participant

I expect that everything on the LAN is clean — but very honestly, I don’t know how to check for that. One reason to sniff the internet traffic at times to see if anything might be going on. Essentially, I am looking for outbound traffic that I can’t explain.

Yesterday, in about a 3 hour period, I was able to log 62 inbound attempts to access something on my IP address. The largest number were directed to port 47400, which is the port that the router had for the UPnP forwarding. Close behind that were attempts to access a web server on port 80.

I do have a couple Mickey Mouse servers running, but they don’t respond to port 80 — you need to access them via a URL that does some port translations. And, there are some amateur radio links that require port forwarding at the router.

Everything here is run on off-beat port numbers.

My primary virus protection on this computer is Avast, which I think is reasonably good. But, it doesn’t catch everything. I have two different software distributions here that SuperAntiSpyware picks up infections on where nothing else does. Complaints to the vendors of those two (well-known) companies has never produced any response — altho one did add a note on their d/l site their software has been scanned by some other virus scanner and was clean.