Reply To: 12 Apr 14 Windows XP and Office 2003 reach End of Life

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 12 Apr 14 Windows XP and Office 2003 reach End of Life Reply To: 12 Apr 14 Windows XP and Office 2003 reach End of Life

HotDawg
Participant

Racerbob: Thanks for the link. A bunch of good ideas there. I will have to go thru them more closely.

I started this reply a while back — got called away — and after I finished it apparently I had been logged off, and, while the SUBMIT button didn’t complain, my reply went into the bitbucket.

Very Briefly, I had originally XP Pro, upgraded to Win 7 Home with an upgrade DVD, then got what was supposed to be a Product key from Microsoft for doing a Windows Anytime Upgrade to Win 7 Pro.

Trying to use the DVD I had, since it was for an upgrade, it would not let me start to do a full install. I had to be running it from within windows, and then do the custom install route. But, it wouldn’t go that way either, since my Windows was 7 Pro, and it was for Win 7 Home. They say that is not an upgrade!

Never got to the point of being able to enter a Product key.

I downloaded (from Microsoft) a DVD image for Win 7 Pro and attempted to reinstall with that. It would not accept the Product Key that Microsoft had sent me — claimed it wasn’t a Product key. Maybe that was only good for doing upgrades???

Microsoft has never considered you might want to go backwards under some conditions. In another life I had been running MSDOS 3.1, and had a good backup. Upgraded to 3.2. Had a problem and needed files off the 3.1 backup. No way — had to install 3.1 on a spare machine, suck the files off the backup there, and sneakernet them over to the other computer.