Reply To: 5 Apr 14 Windows 8.1 Update 1

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 5 Apr 14 Windows 8.1 Update 1 Reply To: 5 Apr 14 Windows 8.1 Update 1

Racerbob
Participant

Windows 8.1 continues to run very well for me. The new update comes from Windows Update, which is where the first version of 8.1 should have been offered instead of the Microsoft Store. (what were they thinking ?) At any rate, it is ultra stable, fast to start up and shut down, and a future update a little later this year will include a start menu. Microsoft is still deciding exactly what will be in that start menu.

I just did a complete system restore on the wife’s laptop. It came with Windows 8, but it seemed to not to want to download the latest quite large 8.1 update from Windows update and I was tired of trying to figure out why. I will say that the full new 8.1 update from Windows Update is quite large. Over 800 megs ! So that in itself could be a drawback for some people who continue to hear the familiar tones as they dial into their ISP…like my uncle, but I won’t get into that right now.

One more thing, I continue to run the fantastic Classic Shell in our laptops. It is up to version 4.06 right now and is totally free and it offers many, many options as to how you can configure your start menu. It is just a fantastic piece of software that keeps getting better. If I wish to use an app, I do. But I boot directly into a normal Windows desktop.

http://www.classicshell.net/