Reply To: 5 Apr 14 Windows 8.1 Update 1

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 5 Apr 14 Windows 8.1 Update 1 Reply To: 5 Apr 14 Windows 8.1 Update 1

RChandra
Participant

There’s nothing like taking something that worked perfectly well, and changing it fundamentally so it doesn’t operate any better, really, just differently. It’s just stupid of MS to have removed the Start menu. Why there is such reluctance to put it back, I don’t know.

On a related note, I thought I would try the Xubuntu 14.04 final beta. At first, I didn’t quite perceive exactly why I didn’t like it, but the default menus came up, where programs are on the left half and “categories” are on the right half (it’s called the “Whiskers Menu,” as opposed to the “Applications Menu”). Then it dawned on me: it’s extra mouse movement. I have to travel further to the categories (which is basically one level of menuing) then back to the programs, whereas the apps menu just simply presents the menu choices outright along the left!

I’m also a creature of great habit, so believe it or not, I dislike these attempts at putting the most frequently used items at the top of the menus so as to minimize mouse movement. If something shows up third, I always want it to show up third, not have it shift to second or first just because I use it more often than items 1 and 2.