Reply To: 15 Feb 14 – How do you feel about the Comcast-Time Warner Cable merger?

Home Forums The Poll Discussion 15 Feb 14 – How do you feel about the Comcast-Time Warner Cable merger? Reply To: 15 Feb 14 – How do you feel about the Comcast-Time Warner Cable merger?

Annoyed
Participant

This can only be bad for consumers. In addition to usage based billing, Comcast has also played with the idea of restricting DNS traffic so that you can’t run your own DNS server to escape their redirect “service” or advertising scheme in reality.

I hope the government blocks it.

Either way, though, usage based billing is coming. It is simply not reasonable for the streaming content industry (Netflix & the like) to expect another industry (Internet carriers) to pay their product delivery costs, as they do now. The carriers have to pay for the infrastructure construction costs to carry that traffic somehow.

If it was up to me, I’d have it so that every carrier who handles Netflix/etc. traffic, from their own uplink provider(s) to the ISP that handles the last mile to the subscriber’s location bills Netflix for carrying it. Netflix can pass the cost on to their customers. If Netflix won’t pay up, the carrier would simply stop carrying Netflix’s traffic. Problem solved.