Reply To: Hello. I'm not that smart. But if I buy a new computer and need to use my….

Home Forums Hardware Hello. I'm not that smart. But if I buy a new computer and need to use my…. Reply To: Hello. I'm not that smart. But if I buy a new computer and need to use my….

Rev 2
Participant

Well, here’s what happened, and this is only the first evening so I only presume that it’s going to stay happened.

I ordered another empty GX620 from a recycler on ebay. For some reason he couldn’t send me the one that he thought he had, because he didn’t, so he sent me an Optiplex 745. Looks exactly the same, but two steps up, from Pentium 4 to Core 2 Duo.

I put my drives and memory and stuff into the 745 and it booted with no smoke at all. It didn’t exactly run, and I had to find a bunch of obscure drivers and stuff, and uninstall and reinstall my audio card, but that only took three or four hours, and it looks like I’m sailing.

Plus, the new machine has a nice, relaxed, kind of content vibe to it. The previous machine, even when it worked, was kind of grumpy and irritable the whole time. Still, I will give it a decent and respectful burial, because it did do a lot of work for me.