Reply To: Hello. I'm not that smart. But if I buy a new computer and need to use my….

Home Forums Hardware Hello. I'm not that smart. But if I buy a new computer and need to use my…. Reply To: Hello. I'm not that smart. But if I buy a new computer and need to use my….

Dave_M
Participant

I always tell people, moving to a “new” PC is never painless, but is often worth the pain involved because you get a fresh start.
You mentioned that the OS is Windows XP. A fine fairly bulletproof OS, but one that’s run its course. I assume you know that Microsoft support for XP ends as of April 8 this year?
You might consider moving up to Windows 7. No I WOULD NOT go to Windows 8 – I consider that an abomination….but that’s another discussion.
So….if you care for the adventure, the process might be something like:
Put the original drive in the new PC, download and install the drivers from support.dell.com for the new PC and get it working as it was. Backup all your documents, presets, profile related items to a separate folder on the drive that you can find later.
Purchase a new hard drive and install Windows 7 (I’d go 64 bit), then you can re-install Audition (because by this time you’ve located your license key, etc.) and you’ll be good to go for several years. Then you can put your original drive in as your second drive as described earlier.