Reply To: Hello. I'm not that smart. But if I buy a new computer and need to use my….

Home Forums Hardware Hello. I'm not that smart. But if I buy a new computer and need to use my…. Reply To: Hello. I'm not that smart. But if I buy a new computer and need to use my….

Dave_M
Participant

Seems like you’d be better off using the drive from your current PC as a second slaved drive. Both those models accommodate 2 drives right out of the box. All you have to have is the 2nd SATA cable (which you can steal from your original PC) and enable the 2nd drive in the BIOS and you’re all set.
That way you don’t have to screw around hoping that the drivers on your current PC’s drive will work on your new(er) one.

This of course assumes that the PC you’re purchasing comes with a hard drive and OS. And even if it doesn’t, I still think you’re better off purchasing a drive and installing the OS and installing your old drive as a 2nd drive. You can download drivers from support.dell.com

All you have to do is enter the service tag and it will take you right to the correct page.