Reply To: Hello. I'm not that smart. But if I buy a new computer and need to use my….

Home Forums Hardware Hello. I'm not that smart. But if I buy a new computer and need to use my…. Reply To: Hello. I'm not that smart. But if I buy a new computer and need to use my….

Christian
Participant

You did say XP, or at least it was implied. If you want the newer Optiplex, it sounds like there’s a reasonable chance it will work. Try following these instructions here, but look at the second page as it tells you how to make XP bootable once you’ve already moved it to the new computer. It sounds like the main problem is that the motherboard’s disk controller could be different, requiring a different XP driver. The instructions says to download and burn a bootable CD which can change the hard disk driver in XP. If you still can’t boot XP after that, then you might need to change the HAL.

It looks like if the above steps don’t work, or seem too complicated, you can still get it working by doing a “repair install”. Maybe I should have mentioned that first 🙂