Reply To: Hello. I'm not that smart. But if I buy a new computer and need to use my….

Home Forums Hardware Hello. I'm not that smart. But if I buy a new computer and need to use my…. Reply To: Hello. I'm not that smart. But if I buy a new computer and need to use my….

Christian
Participant

I know someone who did that with XP recently and it worked right away, but the computers were identical models. If they’re not, it’s still doable but tricky. You probably want to make sure that Windows XP drivers exists for the parts of the new computer. This search yielded a few promising results. One site says you might need to replace the hardware abstraction layer. I think I had to do that when I moved an XP installation from an old computer to VirtualBox. I remember having to do some stuff, possibly replacing the HAL, using the old computer. Since yours is broken, that might make things more difficult. Good luck!

This is easier to do with a Linux installation because it contains all possible drivers and simply loads whichever ones are needed at boot. Windows typically only installs the drivers needed for a particular model of computer.