Reply To: RE: Adblock Plus Add On

Home Forums The Show Discussion RE: Adblock Plus Add On Reply To: RE: Adblock Plus Add On

Annoyed
Participant

Some of ’em just like sticking their thumb in the eyes of the advertising industry. I agree with their motivations for doing so.

i understand that web sites have to pay their bills and am not opposed to unobtrusive ads such as simple banner ads and so forth. If they put a banner up for something I’m in the market for, I may look into it. Otherwise I can ignore it.

But the ad industry isn’t satisfied with that. They’re far to greedy to be. So, we end up with advertising that interferes with the content you’re trying to see, but also collects information about your computer, your browsing history and whatnot. They also are tinkering with the operation of the DNS system, a core component of the tech behind the Internet to show you ads. Almost everything you type into the address bar (Awesome bar? Really, Firefox, leave your preschoolers home) is sent to advertisers so that you can be shown ads based on what you’re looking for. I could go on listing various ways the marketing industry has corrupted the Internet, but I don’t have all day.

With the marketing industry resorting to these tactics, I feel no qualms whatever about blocking advertising using any means necessary.

As far as Adblock/Adblock edge goes, if you’re not going to bother reading the installation screens from adblock that tell you that they’re going to allow some ads by default, and show you where to change this, I have no sympathy at all. Enjoy your advertising.